Main Content

Magnolia Community Forums: Get help with Magnolia: Magnolia CORE 5.4.10 does not pickup changes in freemarker templates during development

• chrismenzel
    chrismenzel
    Full name: Christian Menzel
    Last post: Feb 17, 2017 3:06:58 PM
    Magnolia CORE 5.4.10 does not pickup changes in freemarker templates during development
    #1 by chrismenzel on Dec 9, 2016 5:47:51 PM

I'm developing in IntelliJ and start the tomcat from the IDE. In the versions up to Magnolia 5.4.9 changes in freemarker templates are picked up immediately by Magnolia after updating the application from the IDE in debug mode.

A browser page refresh then shows the new version off the template output.

Starting with 5.4.10 the changes to the template are not reflected in the browser anymore. Extremely confusing is the fact that the changed template code is picked up by the resources app but not by the renderer.
    When editing the template in the resources app, the changes are shown on page refresh.

Is this the desired behavior of Magnolia now or is this a regression?

Thanks
    Chris

• czimmermann
    czimmermann
    Full name: Christopher Zimmermann
    Last post: Jan 26, 2017 11:36:28 AM
    Re: Magnolia CORE 5.4.10 does not pickup changes in freemarker templates during development
    #2 by czimmermann on Dec 12, 2016 1:59:50 PM

Hi Chris,
    This is not desired behaviour. Are these resources in your Java module - that is, in your classpath? Or are they in a "light module", ie loaded from the filesystem?
    Thanks, Topher

• chrismenzel
    chrismenzel
    Re: Magnolia CORE 5.4.10 does not pickup changes in freemarker templates during development
    #3 by chrismenzel on Dec 12, 2016 2:12:00 PM

Hi Topher,

the FTLs are resources in the classpath and I'm using an 'exploded war' in my IntelliJ debug configuration.

I went back to 5.4.9 for the moment and everything works fine.

Regards
    Chris

• czimmermann
    czimmermann
    #4 by czimmermann on Dec 12, 2016 5:25:13 PM

OK - thanks. Forgot to ask before- what OS are you on?
    Thanks, Topher

• chrismenzel
    chrismenzel
    #5 by chrismenzel on Dec 12, 2016 6:12:47 PM

Sorry, my fault, could have thought of this: macOS Sierra

• czimmermann
    czimmermann
    #6 by czimmermann on Dec 13, 2016 3:56:34 PM

Thanks, we'll check it out.

• pmundt
    pmundt
    Full name: Philip Mundt
    Last post: Dec 13, 2016 4:30:48 PM
    #7 by pmundt on Dec 13, 2016 4:30:48 PM

Hey Chris.

Are you using the dev-mode (magnolia.develop=true in /WEB-INF/config/default/magnolia.properties)? If not, the modification time of your file will be cached an therefore no change will be picked up. See MAGNOLIA-6781.

You don't have the permission to post on this thread

Sign in

To login on this forum, you can use your Magnolia Forge, Support or Partner account, or, below, your Google, Yahoo! or OpenID account. If you have trouble logging in, or any other sort of issue, please let us know in the Meta forum, on the user-list, or simply by email at forum-admin at magnolia-cms dot com.

* Required

... or sign in with:

• icon http://{your-openid-url}
  • icon
  • icon https://me.yahoo.com/